Coda
尾聲
One sunny afternoon, when he wasn't feeling well, Jobs sat in the garden behind his house and reflected on death.
一個陽光燦爛的下午,他感覺不太舒服,他坐在屋后的花園里,思考死亡。
He talked about his experiences in India almost four decades earlier,
他談到將近40年前他在印度的經歷,
his study of Buddhism, and his views on reincarnation and spiritual transcendence.
他對佛法的研習,以及他對轉世和精神超越的看法。
"I'm about fifty-fifty on believing in God," he said.
“我對上帝的信仰是一半一半,”他說。
"For most of my life, I've felt that there must be more to our existence than meets the eye."
“我一生中的大部分時間,都認為一定有超出我們所見的存在?!?/div>
He admitted that, as he faced death, he might be overestimating the odds out of a desire to believe in an afterlife.
他承認,當他面臨死亡時,他可能更愿相信存在來世。
"I like to think that something survives after you die," he said.
“我愿意認為,在一個人死后有些什么東西依然存在,”他說。
"It's strange to think that you accumulate all this experience, and maybe a little wisdom, and it just goes away.
“如果你積累了所有這些經驗,可能還有一點智慧,然后這些就這么消失了,會有些怪怪的。
So I really want to believe that something survives, that maybe your consciousness endures."
所以我真的愿意相信,會有些什么東西留存下來,也許你的意識會不朽?!?/div>
He fell silent for a very long time.
他沉默了很長時間。
"But on the other hand, perhaps it's like an on-off switch," he said. "Click! And you're gone."
“但是另一方面,也許就像個開關一樣,”他說?!芭?!然后你就沒了?!?/div>
Then he paused again and smiled slightly.
他又停下來,淡然一笑。
"Maybe that's why I never liked to put on-off switches on Apple devices."
“也許這就是為什么我從不喜歡給蘋果產品加上開關吧?!?/p>

- 閱讀本文的人還閱讀了:
上一篇:第770期:還有一件事(5)